Saturday, December 20, 2008

Sounds of Silence

My house has one of the best sounds of silence right now. I think silence bears many forms,carries many emotions. Silence can bring eeriness, sadness, comfort. The quiet of my home is a hush. A whisper. I hear the furnace blowing blessed heat into our living space. I hear a plane far overhead, humming as it carries passengers or cargo to an important destination. And then nothing. No sounds reach my ears. A walk down the hallway presents itself with creaks and groans from the floor and my bones. I hesitate. My baby's breathing sighs... in, out. Deep, asleep. Further down the hall. My first child, slumber resting heavily upon her. A gentle snore, a rustle of blankets. I return to the couch. Me, silence, a good book. An ideal moment, frozen in time, in the midst of a hectic afternoon.

7 comments:

Garret said...

Very profound, Ms. Liz.

mimbles said...

Lovely :)

I crave silence, the kind where all you can hear is the whisper of the breeze in the leaves, a purring cat and your own thoughts in your head. Your moment of peace sounds perfectly wonderful.

Vodka Mom said...

silence scares me.

Boozy Tooth said...

Ahhhhhhhhhh. Silence is a special gift when you want it.

A horrible pain in the heart when you don't.

The reminder of lonliness when you'd rather not be by yourself.

But mostly it's just life holding it's breath for a moment so we can enjoy the peace.

Sandra said...

What a beautiful word picture!

Mary Ellen said...

Sounds heavenly, but in my experience, silence is when the plotting mostly happens.

Jason, as himself said...

This was a magical moment of Lizdom, that's for sure. I love this kind of silence!

Thanks for commenting today on The Jason Show! I'll be seeing you around...