Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Steve Harvey's "Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man"

The title is off-putting. But his interview on the Today Show has me intrigued. I didn't catch all of it but there was a bit of advice given that I really liked. The 90 day policy. The comparison is that when you take a new job, you have a 90 day probationary period with your employer before the benefits kick in. So before they invest in you with paid time off, health insurance, 401K... the employer wants to know that you are dependable, reliable, steady, loyal, on time, dedicated. And once you've proven it, you get the benefits. So why shouldn't women (and men) do the same? Wait until he's proven his value before you offer up the benefits. Looking at my own life... I've applied this without realizing it. Most of the time. But I like this idea when it comes to my kids. When it comes to teaching them about intimacy. And while Steve Harvey was specific to women using that "rule," I think it should be general relationship advice. I'm not planning on reading the book, honestly. I'm not usually a big fan of books that explain women as one way and men as another way. But I did like some of what he had to say. So I might thumb through it in a bookstore. You can read the opening pages on Amazon.com (link above). It's really not my style... but the interview was good.

2 comments:

Cajoh said...

Perhaps that's why I never dated anyone for more than three months— until I met my wife.

Mary Ellen said...

Interesting idea - I think it has merit. People could stand to be a little more cautious in their relationships. You always have such interesting tidbits over here!