Thursday, March 5, 2009

In the Kitchen with...

JEFF! He made dinner for the family Tuesday night. He went to Costco for me on Sunday. Came home and announced that he'd purchased a cookbook and wanted to cook dinner for the family once a week or so. Excellent! Fine by me!! I enjoy cooking but prefer to be able to have prep time and not just the mad dash as soon as we walk in the door. So to have a night off of figuring out dinner is heaven-sent. He wouldn't tell me anything- not the name of the cookbook, not what he planned to make. He only called with a question once- and that was just to ask about where to find a certain bowl in our kitchen. I walk in the door and smell beef and onion... it smells really good. He made a Cheeseburger Bake. I prefer to call it "Jeff's Confetti Surprise." The bottom of the pan was a bread that he made from scratch. I don't know the ingredients but I know he had to mix it (hence the bowl question) and I know it had cheese in it and egg whites. Then there was ground beef that he divulged was mixed with cream of mushroom soup. There were mixed veggies- corn, carrots, peas, green beans. And topped with shredded cheddar. Very colorful, smelled great, looked yummy. I was eager to dive in! And it was GOOD. And the cute part? His concern over how it turned out, if I liked it, and so on. I've mentioned before that I'm emotionally connected to my cooking. I like to make food that my family enjoys. That it is more than just filling your belly. I want your palate to enjoy the meal as well. I want my family to be happy and satisfied and all that good stuff. And I think he got an inkling of that feeling when he cooked our dinner. Here's to a new era! I don't know that he'll share recipes over on his blog (it would be nice, though) but I will share his weekly kitchen adventures!

12 comments:

skywind said...

Women seem to love all the cooking. :)

Health is the Greatest Happiness & The World at The Present All rights reserved.

I'm Grace said...

My husband is the cook at our house. If I start to cook something he comes in the kitchen and just casually takes over. It's great and I wouldn't change a thing!

I'm Grace said...

My husband is the cook at our house. If I start to cook something he comes in the kitchen and just casually takes over. It's great and I wouldn't change a thing!

Valerie said...

That's really sweet! I really would love it if my husband would do that once a week, even once every two weeks. I love cooking, but seriously, 21 meals a week plus snacks gets old!

Cajoh said...

I really enjoy doing the cooking. My wife said that she had enough of cooking and since I was willing to do so, it is fine with her.

You'll have to keep us informed as to what he chooses to make each week if he continues to do so.

Mary Ellen said...

Good for Jeff! I'm constantly looking for something new to cook, so keep sharing! At least if you describe them, I can try to go online and find a recipe!

The Courteous Chihuahua said...

Yay for Jeff!! If he needs any food testers, I'm available!

Boozy Tooth said...

Viva Jeff!

I'm thrilled that Jeff not only A) bought a cookbook, but B) bought it so HE could make dinner!

Nothing smells better than beef and onions cooking, and at the risk of my non-gourmet showing, cream of mushroom soup makes everything taste better!

I'm proud of Jeff and happy for what this could mean to YOU! Many more happy happy tasty meals!

Anonymous said...

As someone with a gourmet-chef-in-training husband who cooks DAMN GOOD as well, may I say welcome to the club! The more Jeff cooks and experiments, the more he's going to want to do it. And the better he'll get at it. Mike started out cooking just the weekday meals but now I can't remember the last meal I cooked. And I'm TOTALLY fine with that. I'd rather be served a 5-star meal, than cook it any day!

Alison said...

Hey, that's great! Most of all, because it was his idea. I know totally how he feels, wanting your ok on it. I always have to beg Miss Chef to tell me if she likes it, because she forgets to mention it--though honestly, she's very, very supportive of my cooking. The best compliment is to go back for seconds!!

One thing that I finally managed to learn with Miss Chef's tutoring is how to not take it personally when something fails. I used to get so pissy/depressed when that happened, but she showed me A)all cooks--ALL--fail sometimes B)it's ok to toss it in the trash and start over (or order out), and C)sometimes you can just turn it into hash or something. But if you can't, see B!

Just some advice for Jeff, I guess, as he continues to explore. Enjoy! (and what a great example for the kids, eh?)

Amy said...

Awesome! My dh has been doing more of the cooking since he started working from home. It's a nice treat.

Lilly said...

That is just wonderful and he may even get to like it a whole lot and want to do it all the time. My sister bought her husband cooking classes for a gift. He loved it!! The recipe sounded delicious too!