Monday, May 10, 2010

Can you walk 26K steps?

This past Saturday was the annual Mini Marathon here in Indianapolis. May in Indy is race month. Indy is a racing town. The Indianapolis Speedway hosts many great races throughout the year- if you're into that sort of thing (I'm not; Jeff is). May marks the start of racing season, I suppose, in Indy. The Mini Marathon is a half marathon (13.1 miles or 20.1K). I've never participated in any way, shape, or form. All I know is that it starts downtown and ends out at the Speedway. And that it is an early-on-a-Saturday thing. I've never had any interest in running it or walking it or showing up to cheer people on. I'm not sure I have any interest yet but I do applaud the people I know this year who went and walked and ran the Mini or did the pre-Mini 5K. But here is something I do know. FitCity is doing a pedometer challenge that starts today. Most recommendations for the amount of daily steps you should aim for is 10,000. That can be a very overwhelming number for people who are just starting their journey to fitness. Here's the challenge, then. Walk a Mini Marathon! If you walk 4,000 steps a day for the next 7 days, you will have walked a half marathon! My friend Ashli did the Mini on Saturday and she wore a pedometer and confirmed that she was over 26,000 and under 30,000 steps. If you are wanting to get started on being healthy- I challenge you to get those 4,000 steps every day for the next 7 days. If you don't have a pedometer, I'll tell you that you can get around 3,000 steps in a 30 minute walk at an average pace. If you are wanting to push yourself, I invite you to join me on my own personal challenge. I'm going to try my darndest to get my 26,000 Mini Marathon steps in 2 Days. 13,000 steps on Monday and on Tuesday. And I'm going to use my personal pedometer that judges steps based on my stride and height and such and not just a pendulum in a standard pedometer. Which just means that my movement will have to be a lot more purposeful to get those 13,000 steps. I want to know how you are doing on the Challenge so pop over to FitCity Indy on Facebook and share your daily step count or share the purposeful activity (like that 30 minute walk) each day! We'll all be able to support each other- I encourage you to post and get encouragement and also to support others as they post their steps! If you are on Facebook, click over to the event page (linked above) and join in. I really don't think it matters much if you aren't actually in Indy... this is a challenge that anyone, anywhere can participate in! Who's with me? Want to get started with 4,000 steps a day? Want to push yourself and get those 26,000 steps in 2 days? 3 days? Photobucket

1 comment:

Amy said...

I'll be interested to see how many steps I get on a typical day, including a 40-minute workout at the gym.