Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Maybe I'm Not

I always aim to be pretty honest on this blog. That doesn't mean I share everything. I share a lot. And what I choose to share, I share very openly and honestly. Sometimes, it's very planned and sometimes it's off the cuff.

I share my insecurities, my successes, my failures. I'm not trying to be any certain thing- I just put stuff out here and things happen. Sometimes, I get great advice and resources. Sometimes, I find inspiration. Sometimes, I am the inspiration. Sometimes, I am the resource.

My life is not perfect. My life is pretty good. I am not perfect. I do strive to be my best.

This "life blogging" is a risk. I open myself up and it can certainly seem that I am sharing everything- but that would be impossible. So it appears that I have painted a certain picture of myself that maybe isn't completely accurate. There is no guaranteed way to share myself in such a way that I completely capture who I am as a friend, a parent, a spouse, an employee, a Christian, or whatever.

There are times that things happen in my life that I can't share- things that are too personal, that I deem to be too private.

I guess I'm saying all that as a reminder... that I'm human. That any blog you read is just a little filtered blink into the life of the author. Some bloggers write with a specific message or intent and they put out a very specific image. Some bloggers write from the heart and lay themselves out in a very open way. Some bloggers seek to be funny, some seek attention, some seek connections.

But we all have a reason for doing what we do and sharing what we choose to share.

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." Maya Angelou

Photobucket

10 comments:

Garret said...

You mean you don't have super powers?

Shell said...

I think you come across as one of the most genuine bloggers that I know.

It is a risk when you lay things out there. I think especially when the reader is first reading a blog. And thinks they can judge by ONE post, instead of taking the blogger as a whole.

Amy said...

You know, I've been thinking of something similar myself lately. About who I am and why I blog and what I want to say and what I can't say and want I want my blog to say about me. As Shell said, you are very genuine in your blogging -- and I know that firsthand because I know you IRL. It seems that this post is maybe coming from an experience or a conversation you've had that is bothering you. Whatever it is, I hope you are able to work through it. Stay true to who you are. That's why so many of us keep coming back.

Bill Lisleman said...

this post reminded me of the song "The Bug"
Sometimes you're the windshield
Sometimes you're the bug
---
A blog is so many things. I enjoy the sharing and hope mine lightens things up some. I enjoy this blog.

Alison said...

I think you're a pretty easy blogger to get to know, because you do post about so many different things in your life. But if one hasn't been reading your blog for a while, they may have missed the "I don't clean my house" post, or the "This was my childhood trauma" mentions.

I created an "About Me" tab on my blog, so newer readers could get a more complete picture of who's writing what they're reading. Maybe that would help squelch whatever you're alluding to?

Unknown said...

I think blogging about your life is a bit freeing...it puts something out there and sometimes, especially for women it seems, putting it out there makes us feel better. Kinda like "Bam...I said it...now I'll deal with it."

But, I do know what you mean...how much do you share? The thought occurred to me last night that I really wish I had an anonymous blog so that when I need to put something out there and I'm not ready to be tied to that thing, then I can.

kbiermom said...

Yes, you are much more than the sum of your blogs. :)

Your writing is always compelling and thought-provoking, and always worth the time spent reading and reflecting. Guess I'm hooked, since I was disappointed that there wasn't a new one up by 5am this morning ;)

Nancy said...

I think that you come across as what you are...a person who is trying to live the best life that she can. You share the good and bad about your life.

I like the song that you sing to us all!

Bill Lisleman said...

hey I gave you a shout out for an idea you gave me but didn't know you did.
thanks

Claudya Martinez said...

I've been thinking about this very same thing lately. I am honest, but I guess I can not be completely honest because I choose not to share completely.

That's okay, though. Who would want to know every little truth?