Thursday, August 11, 2011

Indiana State Fair: Animals

Another thing that is well loved by fairgoers is seeing livestock.  It's an amazing assortment of animals and a visit to the State Fair is often a city kid's only chance to be exposed to farm animals close up!  Horses, ponies, donkeys, cows, pigs, goats, chickens, ducks, alpacas, llamas, draft horses, rabbits, cats, oxen, and more can be found at our State Fair! 

I love walking through the barns and visiting the animals.  My allergies don't love it so much.  I do my best to arm myself with medicine, eye drops, nose spray and my inhaler- all items only needed when I know I've got big allergen exposure headed my way.  Even with all my defenses on board, I have to pay attention to early allergy signs and exit the barn when they hit, get scrubbed up to my elbows in a bathroom, and stay outside for a while.  It's better than it used to be and there are a lot of factors to the whole game of allergies.













Something fun this year was the Fido 500- small dog races.  Not like serious racing- just for fun, tiny little legs flying through wood chips to get to a special treat at the end.  It was adorable and hilarious! 






Photobucket

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

I've never really wanted a horse until just now. The horse with the blue eye (eyes?). He/she is gorgeous.

Love the piggies nursing too!

I remember going into the barn at our county fair when I was young. So much fun!

Garret said...

I too spotted the blue eyed horse! Amazing.

The race video was cute!

I love your State Fair posts!

Nej said...

It's funny, I grew up going to the fairs (county and state).....and grew up not on a farm, but spent allot of time on them....and I don't think I've ever seen a blue-eyed horse. Gorgeous!!!!!