Monday, August 15, 2011

The Sky's The Limit

I have 2 little brothers.  Well, not so little anymore.  Even though Ted will always be about 5 or 6 in my memory and Daniel will always be about 3... they have grown into young men. 

Ted just went back to the University of Dayton to start his senior year of college.  He's on the verge of... his future.

Daniel is about to move on campus at UNOH.  He's taking the first steps toward becoming himself.

If there are basic words I want them to always remember, it's what I shared with Daniel this past weekend.

Don't be stupid.  Don't be scared.

But sometimes I'm more visual and poetic and as I drove home from Ohio, it all came together in my heart.

If there is one thing I want my brothers to know, it's that the sky is the limit.  And I don't mean that in the cliche kind of way. 

I've been drawn to the sky for a long time.  I often notice rainbows and sunsets and sunrises and clouds and storms.  In the past couple of weeks, I've captured a few images of the sky with just my cell phone that I think really represent things I want my brothers to know.

Life is beautiful.


Sometimes, something looks beautiful and is beautiful but don't forget that the reason you are noticing it is because of what you don't see.  Don't forget about the sun lighting up that beautiful thing.


Sometimes, things look dark.  Sometimes, things are tough.  But don't forget that the sun is always somewhere in the sky- behind the darkness, behind you, maybe even on the other side of the world.  But it is always, always there.



Remember that trees provide shade and rest.  Sometimes, the sun and the clouds and the storms can be hard to bear.  Those are the times that you can find strength and shelter from the trees in your life.  Choose your trees wisely- strong, sturdy and wise.



Most of all, take time to stop and stare at the clouds.  Look up.  Find the Mckey Mouse ears and the circus elephant and the dinosaur.  Always remember that someone who loves you is doing the same.



Photobucket

3 comments:

Amanda said...

And always remember the one who created them all :) Beautiful post and pictures!

Garret said...

Purdy!

Karen M. Peterson said...

My little brother is moving into the dorms of one university, and my little sister is moving across the country to go to another. These are great words of wisdom and beautiful photos!