Monday, October 17, 2011

What Are You Reading?

I love to read.  I wish I had more time to read.  It's not uncommon for me to get sucked into a book and sit on the couch for most of an afternoon devouring it.  Well, it was a lot more common before having kids.

I was recently provided with a copy of The Hazards of Hunting While Heartbroken and it's my current "read at every spare moment book."  It's the first novel by Mari Passananti and I'm finding it to be very entertaining.  I was fully engaged with the main character within the first chapter. 

In Mari Passananti’s debut novel, The Hazards of Hunting While Heartbroken (Rutland Sqaure Press, July 2011), she explores the recognizable and relatable world of heartbreak, dating, and self-discovery that is uniquely characteristic to early adulthood. Zoe Clark thinks her world will implode when her fiancé dumps her on the eve of their wedding. After nearly a decade with her college sweetheart, Zoe is thrust back into the unpredictable New York dating scene. And her problems don’t end there. Zoe works a less-than-ideal job, managing other people’s careers while her own ambitions wither.


Enter Oscar Thornton. He’s handsome, charming, attentive and rich - the perfect boyfriend. But does he harbor a dark secret? Or will Zoe torpedo her newfound happiness by indulging in a far-fetched suspicion?

The Hazards of Hunting While Heartbroken is a hugely appealing novel that tells the story of a young woman who sets out to find a man to solve her problems. Instead she finds herself facing her own shortcomings, testing her oldest friendships and realizing that true happiness has to come from within. A coming-of-age tale for the modern woman, The Hazards of Hunting While Heartbroken is a charming, funny and poignant novel with a suspenseful twist that will keep readers turning the pages.

Packed with snappy dialogue and playful wit, The Hazards of Hunting While Heartbroken will strike a chord with any woman who’s ever allowed herself to think, “My life would be perfect, if I could just meet the right guy…”
 
I should be about done with the book within the next week or so... I long for the days when I could sit down and read a book in completion on a quiet Sunday afternoon.  These days, reading means finding a few spare minutes in waiting room or before my head crashes into my pillow at night.  But I will say that Hazards has kept me interested and I keep picking it up again and again to read more!
 
I'd like to share the book with you!  Leave a comment telling me what you are currently reading and what you think of the book so far.  You can enter a second time if you tell me about your favorite book of all time.  For all who participate in the commenting, I'll draw a name of someone to send it to once I'm done.  One of my favorite parts of reading is being able to share a good book with a friend!
 
Photobucket

9 comments:

Andrea V. said...

Currently reading, Someone Knows My Name. That is a book club book.

Andrea V. said...

Probably one of my favorite books of all time is A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. I loved it so much, I named my youngest child Owen.

Alison said...

I always have to have a book I'm working on. I start getting a little panicky if I'm close to finishing a book and don't have another one lined up!

Right now I'm in the middle of a series--book 2 is called Wizard Heir; 1 and 3 are Warrior Heir and Dragon Heir. It's a young adult fantasy series (the author's last name is Chima). It's not great literature, but entertaining enough.

I guess if I had to, I could narrow down my all-time favorite books to two: M*A*S*H (yes, it was a book before it was a movie before it was a tv show) and Slaughterhouse 5. They both really influenced me as a teenager.

Call Me Cate said...

I'm currently reading several books, including Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster. It's not my usual kind of thing (I tend towards mysteries) but I have a bit of an obsession with deserted cities and disasters of this kind. And I love that it's an oral history - makes it so much more real than a straight factual textbook approach.

Unknown said...

I read "Sarah's Key" on our vacation. I started it in the car on our drive to Orlando and then could NOT put it down...it was a GREAT book!

Katherine said...

I'm still looking for the next "good read." I just haven't enjoyed the last several books that I've read, so I'm kind of discouraged.

Garret said...

I read the blog title... nothing more. Does that count?

Karen M. Peterson said...

Right now, I'm reading The Drawing of the Three, which is the 2nd Dark Tower book by Stephen King. It's okay. I'm having a really hard time getting into this series, though.

Karen M. Peterson said...

Honestly, my favorite book of all time? That is so hard. But I'd have to say Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I know, I know, Harry Potter is still so current and there are thousands of years worth of great books, but I love it. So much.