Monday, July 9, 2012

It's Coming and I Can't Wait!

It's almost my favorite time of year.

Better than Christmas.

Better than my birthday.

Better than... well, it's a big time of year.

INDIANA STATE FAIR!

If you've been reading my blog for a while, you know how much I love the Indiana State Fair.  I've learned how to make the best (and fastest) omelet, vertical gardening, growing pineapples, producing honey, making statues with canned goods, frisbee dogs, racing dogs, finding healthy food and activities, and so much more.  It's difficult to pinpoint my favorite things because so much is top of the list and because I discover new favorites every year.

Things I am looking forward to this year:

  • I am hoping to make it to the Free Stage on Aug 12 and Aug 14.  Some of my favorite contemporary Christian singers will be performing.  Sunday is Contemporary Christian Music Day at the Fair and performances include Big Daddy Weave, Sanctus Real, and 3Union (I don't know them...).  Tuesday evening- David Crowder!!!  If they got Christy Nockels, Kari Jobe, JJ Heller - I'd really be happy!  
  • Great American Wild West Show - singing cowboys, roping cowboys, the horses, drums and dancing, stagecoaches, trick riders and I fully anticipate campiness!!
  • Ciao Italia - In the past few years, we've learned about Japan and Germany.  This year, the country is Italy and I can't wait!  
  • Cowtown USA - In the kids area, a new exhibit where you can hand milk a cow and participate in pasteurization and the making of butter, cheese, and ice cream!
  • SuperDogs - Dogs doing tricks.  Always fun and entertaining. 
  • Mapapa African Acrobats - I just love stuff like this.  I loved the Peking Acrobats the last 2 years and I'm sure I'll be wowed by this group, too!
  • I might have to take Teagan to the Fair on Aug 10.  Bobby Deen will be there.  Teagan doesn't know about Bobby Deen... but she is a HUGE Paul Deen fan and would fall in love with Bobby just for being a Deen.  
  • Taste of Indiana Farms - this is a tradition I always love.  Various producer groups and farms at booths with a path that snakes through the room so you can sample food made from Indiana farms.  Everything from tomatoes to watermelon to honey to turkey to bison!
  • $2 Tuesday - The right price for the right sized portion.  It's a chance to have a smaller portion of a naughty treat or a chance to try something you aren't willing to spend $6 without knowing if you'll like it first!
There is only ONE thing I have great concern about... the HEAT.  Given how mild the winter was and how brutal summer has already been, I'm scared of what August might bring.  My hope is that the weird weather pattern continues and we have a weirdly mild and cool August...

Bottom line is that there is something for everyone at the State Fair.  Trampoline shows, monster trucks, demolotion derbys, extreme sport demos, harness racing, concerts, cooking demonstrations, coupons galore, freebies from local vendors and companies, cheese carving, cow milking and birthing, concerts (this year, everything from Barry Manilow to Journey to Train), a daily parade, the midway (with a new ride this year), hot air balloons, animals from pigs to llamas to roosters to cows to goats and rabbits and more!

Something really cool being offered this year is a multi-day ticket!!  Admission to the Fair is $10 for anyone over the age of 5.  With the multi-day ticket:
Multi-Day Admission Ticket – For the first time ever, the Indiana State Fair is offering a multi-day admission ticket that will allow people to visit the fair on multiple days for one low price.  The ticket costs $18 and is good one admission on three different days – that’s a $12 savings on the gate admission price!  These tickets can purchased at all State Fair ticket outlets, including Indiana Walmart stores, Indiana CVS/pharmacy stores, Indiana Farm Bureau offices, The Marten House Hotel and the Indiana State Fairgrounds Ticket Office.

There are also special admission days like:

FREE ADMISSION TICKET IN THE INDIANAPOLIS STAR: Monday, Aug. 6, The Indianapolis Star will print a ticket good for free admission to the fair on the following Wednesday and Thursday, Aug. 8 and 9.

Tues Aug 7 and Aug 14 - Get into the fair for only $2 with voucher fromwww.turkeyhill.com/indianastatefair.


Monday Aug 13 - Admission is only $15 for up to 10 people with IPL Carload voucher located at www.iplpower.com.


Weds Aug 15 - Admission only $5 with voucher from www.mybmv.com.


Thursday Aug 16 - FREE admission for AAA members with valid AAA membership card. One valid AAA card per person.


Weds Aug 15 - Admission only $5 with voucher from www.mybmv.com.


$2 DISCOUNT ON PEPSI NEXT DAY WITH PEPSI BRAND CAN: All visitors who bring any Pepsi brand can on the fair’s final day, Sunday, Aug. 19 will receive $2 off gate admission.

If you're in Indiana, I hope you'll be making the trip.  If you're not from Indiana... tell me about YOUR state fair!!

Photobucket

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I can't wait. D starts school Aug 9, but I am hoping that we can get there at least once!

Garret said...

I can't wait for the fair related posts with photos!