Sunday, July 8, 2012

Sundays In My City: Date Night

It's funny... when Jeff and I weren't married, we didn't really ever "date."  We just kinda hung out and did stuff.  And then we suddenly realized there was more to our story than we knew... and here we are.

When we get the opportunity to go out together, just the two of us, or out with friends, we are sometimes a bit stumped on what to do with ourselves.  One of our best dates was an afternoon at the art museum.  We've also gone bowling and played putt-putt.  But generally speaking, our date nights are dinner a movie.

Sometimes I worry that it's too boring to just go out to dinner and go see a movie.

But then I realize that it isn't what we are doing that makes the evening special.  It's the company.  It's the time together.  It's reconnecting.  It's eating a meal without having kids complain about something, without having to keep kids entertained.  It's going to a movie and not worrying about who needs to go potty or if popcorn is going to get dropped or if we can have Twizzlers.  It's about us- taking care of ourselves and taking care of each other.  It's about holding hands and sharing popcorn and laughing and talking and relaxing and just being together.

And that's exactly what we did.


Unknown Mami

Photobucket

9 comments:

Vidya Sury said...

And I loved it! :D

Love your blog title too!

Happy Sunday, Liz and wishing you many many more date nights!

retired not tired said...

Yes date nights are special and should be about the people not the places. We usually found a dance to go to when we dated.

Unknown said...

I think you have the right attitude. Just being with one another is what makes it a special night. My mom and dad went out to eat every Friday evening. Sometimes, they went to a movie, too. It was just their time, and it didn't have to be something extraordinary. They had 50 years together before my dad passed.

Joanna Jenkins said...

Dinner and a movie are our regular date nights and we LOVE it. Tonight we're going to see "The Intouchables". Have you seen it yet?

Enjoy your nights out.
Happy SIMC, jj

Rocio Esmeralda said...

You are absolutely right! i have been on a date with my boyfriend for almost 2 weeks, lol He moved to new mexico so I came to visit him. I have 3 kids and they stayed with grama. I am really enjoying spending time with him and just him lol
Anyways have an amazing Sunday!

Katherine said...

My husband and I go on far too few formal dates, but we manage to have small, at home dates frequently. And we've realized the same thing, that it's the time we spend together, not the actual activity that matters.

Cheri said...

Hi, dropping in from UBC . . .

And I think you've absolutely hit the nail on the head. Date nights aren't about the activity at all, but about the partnership. So glad you guys are able to make time for yourselves.

Claudya Martinez said...

This is beautiful. Even going for a walk with just my husband feels special because we so rarely get time alone.

Garret said...

Maybe instead of "parents" it's really more like "entertainers".