Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The Menu #RespectTheTurkey

Speaking of Thanksgiving...

I have volunteered for a task and am eager for it but also feeling like I need to make sure I don't go completely overboard.

Our family Thanksgiving will be a bit smaller this year.  Less family able to travel, less family in town.

So we will have my parents, my grandma, my brothers and my family (including a friend) - all at my parents' home.  8 adults and 2 kids.

My kids don't eat much at Thanksgiving.  So the menu doesn't concern them much.  They're too busy watching movies, playing in the toy closet, and convincing their uncles to take them outside or to the basement to play.

This year, I volunteered, and my mom has actually accepted, to make the family meal.  She is in charge of the turkey.  I get to do everything else.  The kids and I will come to town the evening before Thanksgiving and I can get started on any prep work that needs to be done for the next day.

I'm not looking to make a gourmet meal.  I'm not trying to create a brand new menu that will contain all kinds of frou-frou dishes.

I've polled several members of the family and gotten feedback on the classic dishes that are required for our meal.

Turkey
Mashed Potatoes
Gravy
Green Bean Casserole
Stove Top
Cranberry Sauce
Roasted Veggies & Potatoes

It's a good, basic meal.

But I want more.

One thing I love about Thanksgiving is the idea of a feast, a celebration of bounty.

I want to prepare some of the foods that I love and that my family has taught me to love but that we don't often eat.  Like brussels sprouts.  And beets.

I think we need sweet potato casserole.  Jeff wants corn.  I'd prefer a corn casserole.  But he's my plain jane so plain corn he shall have.

So I'm looking for ideas.  I'm looking for your family traditions and must haves at any family holiday gathering.  What goes on your table?


Photobucket

No comments: