Thursday, January 30, 2014

Photography

I like having a good camera.

I like taking pictures.

I like that I see things differently through the lens.  I gain a new perspective.

And I want to know how to better use my camera.  I want to better understand lighting and lenses.

I think I want to take a photography class.

But classes are expensive.

I've tried learning from online sources, even sources that claim to make it easy to understand.  But somehow it just doesn't click.

I want to focus by hand instead of by the auto focus on the camera.

I want to understand aperture and composition.

I want to know how to take indoor photos without using my flash.

I've done a couple of photo projects for friends, for community theatre and it has whet my appetite.

I want to do more and do it better.  I don't want to be a pro, I don't want to start a business.  I just want to feel like I know what I'm doing instead of getting lucky when I click.

Feel free to share your favorite online resources - I might need to sit down with my camera and some good websites and try again.

Photobucket

3 comments:

Chrissy Guthrie said...

Digital Photography For Dummies is an excellent resource. You can check out www.dummies.com to see what free online articles and tutorials they may have.

Angie @ Just Like The Number said...

Nothing helped me learn my camera and get better as a photographer more than the Fundamentals class I took through Indy Photo Coach. It's a short class - just 4 weeks - and pretty reasonably priced. They usually offer a class in Fishers, too. I'm not sure if they do it all the time, but when I took the class they cut you a deal if you signed up with a friend. I just asked on Twitter if anyone was thinking about taking a class and found a "friend" that way!

Karen M. Peterson said...

I don't know how much the community colleges are near you, but I took a photography class at my community college a few years ago. It was pretty inexpensive, especially compared to a lot of other photography classes that are out there. Just a thought.